Skip to main content

Points of Interest

Bennettsville Historic District

The Bennettsville Historic District encompasses the downtown core and includes historic homes and buildings. A walking tour of the historic district can be found here.

Breeden Grocery

The Breeden Grocery in Bennettsville, SC has been a mainstay in downtown for more than 85 years. It’s a classic butcher shop and home to a number of certified SC products. 843-479-3481

Breeden Inn

On April 20, 1978, The Breeden Inn Bed and Breakfast property, located at 404 East Main Street, was selected to be listed in the National Register of Historic Places as one of many key structures contributing to the character of the Bennettsville Historic District. It is a beautiful bed and breakfast inn with lovely rooms and grounds. More information on the inn and to make reservations can be found at 843-479-3665

C.W. Love Museum

Located a block off Main Street at the corner of West Gibson and Marlboro Streets in McColl, the former dental rooms of Dr. C. W. Love now are filled with collections: ladies’ hats, World War II memorabilia, wildlife, old toys, classic cars, items from an old McColl grocery—all contributed by citizens.

Geddie – Cole Center

Former 1930s theater on Main Street, McColl, the Geddie-Cole Center is once again a theater showing children’s movies twice a month at no charge. Operating off donations, the center provides a food pantry and meeting space.

McArthur Farms

McArthur Farms is a” Certified South Carolina Grown”, roadside market featuring flowering plants and produce. They offer several “you pick, we pick” fruits and vegetables including super sweet strawberries. Follow McArthur Farms on Facebook. 843-479-3839

Marlboro County Historical Museum

Located in the Dr. D.F. Kinney house at 123 South Marlboro Street, this home now houses the Marlboro County Historical Museum. The small white building in the front right of the museum was originally Dr. Kinney’s office and is now the Doctor’s Museum. There are a total of five buildings in the museum complex including the Printing Museum, the only one in South Carolina. 843-479-5624

Stanton’s BBQ

Stanton’s BBQ is the only private fly-in restaurant in the Carolinas. It features a 2300 foot grass landing strip for pilot guests. Stanton’s is a third generation pit-cooked pork barbeque business. 843-265-4855

Abel Kolb Grave

Col. Abel Kolb was a prominent Revolutionary War Patriot of this area. A band of Tory raiders, on the night of April 27-28, 1781, surrounded the home of Colonel Kolb and his family. He was shot while surrendering himself as a prisoner of war and his home was burned. His grave is in the Old Welsh Neck cemetery, one mile north, a short distance from his home site. The stone marking his grave has been moved to the Marlboro Historical Museum.

Battle of Hunt’s Bluff

On July 25, 1780, a convoy of British boats en route from Cheraw to Georgetown was captured here by local Patriots. Wooden logs resembling cannons were mounted on this bluff. When boats appeared, Captain Tristram Thomas demanded unconditional surrender. At this signal, the Loyalist escort joined forces with the Patriots, making prisoners of the British troops.

Blenheim Springs

This community was named for Blenheim Palace in England, home of the Duke of Marlborough, for whom Marlboro County is said to have been named. Formerly called Mineral Spring or Spring Hill for the mineral springs, Blenheim traces its origin to wealthy planters who built summer homes during the antebellum period in this healthy locality.

Camp Pee Dee

Camp Pee Dee is a ministry of the Presbytery of New Harmony of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.). The camp has lodging and retreat facilities as well as an equestrian center, pool, kayaking, a ropes course and Marsh Tacky horses. 843-429-3051

The Gulf

From 1876-1976 Bennettsville had a prosperous African American Business District called the Gulf. Located on Market Street going west from the corner of Liberty Street down to Cheraw Street, it was a small area of little more than 100 yards. Prior to integration it was the only place African Americans could go for shopping and entertainment in Bennettsville. On weekends 200-300 people would come to the Gulf to drink, dance and socialize. It is thought the Gulf got its name from a Gulf Oil Station on the corner of Market and Liberty Streets. Businesses opened and thrived until 1930 when it began to decline due to the Great Depression. In the mid 1930’s, near the end of the Depression, the area was revived and businesses flourished. African American doctors, pharmacists and dentists worked there. African American men met at Chestnut’s and Quick’s barbershops to discuss issues and set the political and social agendas for the African American community in Marlboro County. An historical marker erected in 2013 commemorates this area.

Jennings Brown House

Built in 1826, this house was used as headquarters for Union troops in 1865. The house was restored and decorated to its c.1850 appearance in 1976 and is open to the public by appointment. It features a stenciled ceiling (c.1830) discovered during the restoration. The building was built by the Bennettsville Academical Society organized in 1828. The Female Academy used the oldest part of the building from 1833 to 1881 when it was located on East Main Street opposite the First United Methodist Church. It was moved to Cheraw Street and in 1977 to its present location.

Lake Paul Wallace

Lake Paul Wallace is a 600 acre manmade lake with beach and swimming areas. A 1.5 mile lighted walking trail divides the lake into two areas separating water sports from fishing.


A two-story clapboard house that has a one-story porch, free-standing Doric columns, and boxed cornice with brackets, is typical of the antebellum homes of the area. William D. Johnson, one of three Marlboro County representatives to the South Carolina Secession Convention and a signer of the South Carolina Ordinance of Secession, built the house.

Marian Wright Edelman Library

Construction of this 20,000 square foot facility was completed in January of 2010 and the library opened to the public on February 22, 2010. The building is named for children’s advocate and founder of the Children’s Defense Fund, Marian Wright Edelman, who is a native of Marlboro County. There is a permanent display case in the children’s area with storyboards telling the story of Mrs. Edelman. 843-479-5630

Marlboro Area Arts Council

The Weatherly Walker House (c. 1834) is currently home to the Marlboro Area Arts Council. It was originally located on East Main Street and was operated by Mrs. Genevieve Weatherly as an eating-place and boarding house. 843-479-6982

Marlboro Civic Center

The art deco theater was originally built as a venue for programs presented by Broadway touring road shows in route to Miami and for local productions of all kinds. After four decades as a movie theater, it was restored for live theater and is now in full-time operation. 843-454-9496

Marlboro Country Club

Marlboro Country Club encompasses 130 acres inside the city limits of beautiful, historic Bennettsville.The semi-private 18-hole golf course is picture perfect and is a challenge for anyone. 843-479-7741

Marlboro County Court House

This is the fourth structure to be located on this site. The courtroom portion (third structure) of the building was constructed between 1881 and 1885. The rest of the building was altered extensively in 1951. Several historical markers and monuments are located on the grounds. County records from 1785 are located at the Court House.

Marlboro Farmers Market

This Bennettsville farmers market is located at Broad Street Bennettsville. Available seasonally are an assortment of vegetables, organic food, crafts, fruits and local specialties. Hours are May-December Saturday, 7:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. Tuesday & Thursday, 1:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.

Moree’s River Lodge

Established in 1985, Moree ‘s has become a top hunting destination offering a variety of outdoor sporting options. It’s 25- and 50- acre upland game ranges offer diverse terrain in carefully cultivated meadows with lush cover. Rolling hills make natural-like habitat for the birds and create easy walking for shooters. Facilities include a spacious hunting lodge, modern dog kennels and large holding cages where the birds are kept prior to the hunt. 843-378-4831

Murchison Building

Built in 1902, the Italian villa-style brick building features a three story central bell tower, low hip roof and extensive interior and exterior decorative work. The building also contains a lovely, small Victorian auditorium with excellent acoustics.

Palmer Field / WWII POW

Palmer Field, located four miles north of Bennettsville on Highway 9, operated as a primary Army Air Corps Flight Training School from August 1941 until 1944 during World War II and was later used to house German prisoners of war. Cadets from all over the United States received their primary training here. The field was named in honor of Captain William White Palmer, a World War I hero and native of Marlboro County.

Shiloh Baptist Church

Organized in 1867, this is the oldest black congregation in Bennettsville. The first building was built on this site in 1886 and stood until it burned in 1930. The present building was built in 1932-1933. The white building adjacent to the church was the parsonage and the childhood home of Marian Wright Edelman. It is now the home of the Children’s Defense Fund founded by Mrs. Edelman. 843-479-7460

St. Michael’s United Methodist Church

Organized in 1868 as the first Methodist Church for blacks in Bennettsville. The first building on this site was in 1872 and the present building constructed in 1918–1923. 843-479-9958

Tristram Thomas Grave

The grave of Tristram Thomas, a major of militia during the Revolution, is located in Saw Mill Church cemetery. At Hunt’s Bluff, ten miles south of Bennettsville, a band of Patriots under his command seized a British flotilla in 1780. He served as legislator, as first brigadier general of the Cheraw Militia, and as commissioner for locating the county seat.